Water Pollution Prevention System Design
Sandfield Penstock Solutions leverage our full range of products, services and partner relationships to design and implement fail safe, compliant, cost effective, non-disruptive water pollution prevention systems.
Penstock Solutions’ water pollution prevention system design process is based on CIRIA c736 – Containment Systems for the Prevention of Pollution guidance which our Technical Director, David Cole, was involved in developing and presenting.
The water pollution prevention systems proposed and implemented by Penstock Solutions are designed to mitigate the risk of water pollution prevention
Sandfield Penstock Solutions innovative water pollution prevention systems identify your drainage network as the principal pathway of liquids leaving your site to the environment and the best opportunity to contain pollutant materials. Whilst most sites invest appropriately in primary and secondary containment, Sandfield Penstock Solutions addresses the tertiary area, where the delivery and movement of materials poses the greatest risk of causing water pollution.
Sandfield Penstock Solution are committed to proposing and implementing the simplest, most cost-effective and least disruptive water pollution prevention systems utilising existing infrastructure wherever possible.
How does the Water Pollution Prevention System Design service work?
The first step in effectively addressing your water pollution challenges is to conduct a risk assessment and understand your precise risk.
Sandfield Penstock Solutions have developed a scientific approach to assessing your precise exposure to causing water pollution – Spill Mapping. Spill Mapping enables Penstock Solutions to accurately evidence the outcomes of various disaster scenarios, as specified in CIRIA c736, for your specific site taking into consideration the effectiveness of your existing drainage and containment devices.
Once we have established a baseline model of your current site Penstock Solutions add in the proposed pollution containment devices and barriers. These devices are purposely designed as pollution containment devices and strategically positioned to change the pathways and effectively contain pollutant materials. Spill Mapping enables Penstock Solutions to provide an evidence based assurance that the water pollution containment system that we propose will be effective and compliant before any physical work is carried out.
The final Spill Map Animation is presented to the customer and all relevant stakeholders so they can see the precise risk for themselves as well as the effectiveness of the proposed solution. This empowers decision makers to make informed decisions about the investment required to mitigate their precise water pollution risk effectively.
What are the most important considerations when designing your Water Pollution Prevention System?
Whilst the principals behind the design of water pollution prevention systems are well established and universal there are site specific considerations that need to be accounted for in each water pollution system design.
As outlined in CIRIA c736 – Containment Systems for the Prevention of Pollution these site specific considerations include:
Storage of Inventory (substances that may be flammable/combustible or hazardous to the environment)
- inventory quantity, rainwater, firefighting agents (foam) plus an allowance for firefighting water if required
- nature of inventory and any ‘cocktails’ that may result from an incident where remote secondary containment is shared by a number of different inventories (incompatible substances, water-miscible and water-immiscible substances etc)
- the nature of the primary system, for example whether single tank, tank farm, process plant, warehouse, pipeline, loading point or drum store.
Receptors (the environment)
- the proximity and sensitivity of receptors
- the level of unmitigated risk to the receptors.
- the space available for containment works
- the potential for using or adapting existing containment facilities, for example interceptors, lagoons and bunds, and on-site or external treatment plant facilities which may have spare storage or treatment capacity
- the potential for sharing containment facilities across different process areas of a site where a range of different inventories may be present
- the type of drainage system, including the method of disposal of trade effluents, sewage and
- stormwater, and how the drains interconnect
- future development plans for the site, either physical changes in layout, plant or buildings, or in the processes to be carried out.
- cost constraints
Sandfield Penstock Solutions propose water pollution prevention systems that take into account all of these important considerations plus factors that we have found to be of particular importance to our customers including:
- does your site have the capacity to contain the full pollution event?
- do you have the staff needed to implement your water pollution prevention system?
- do you have the staff needed to implement your water pollution prevention system as well as safely evacuate the site?
- do you have the staff to implement the same water pollution prevention system at 2am on a winter’s morning?
- what are the disruption costs?
When should you consider Water Pollution Prevention System Design?
The earlier in the process you consider water pollution prevention the greater the savings to project costs, timescales and disruption
Some instances where you should be considering water pollution prevention system design are:
- If you are building a new site
- If you are applying for new, or making changes to your, Environmental Permits
- If you have been requested by the regulator or local authority to evidence that you are able to contain pollution and prevent it from entering the environment.
Wherever you are with your water pollution prevention system design Sandfield Penstock Solutions will take you through the process to the most appropriate, cost effective and least disruptive solution.
If spill containment and CIRIA c736 compliance is currently a consideration for you please do not hesitate to call 0330 223 4372 or email us, we will be very happy to discuss our solutions with you.
WATER POLLUTION PREVENTION SERVICES
Expert CIRIA c736 advice and support for businesses looking to address their water pollution prevention challenges.
Drainage plan assessments & maintenance to ensure your system is capable of containing water pollution.